Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Oil City 5k / Deerslayer 4 mile

     Now that I have a tread mill I have been getting back into daily running.  The other morning it was 58 degrees outside in December!  I grabbed my headlamp and hit the trail.  I had so much fun.  I am not sure the wildlife were all that pleased with me. 
      I miss racing every weekend.  It has become a part of my life.  I decided nothing was going to stop me from doing two races this weekend.  I have been going to Oil City to race for a few years now.  Every year I say to myself driving 2 1/2 hours for a 5k is stupid.  Yet, I found myself heading there again.

     The temperature was 26, but felt like 15 according to the weather guy.  I think it felt more like 10.  It was cold.  This year they moved the race into the city.  Before it was just an out and back on a rails to trails trail.  I signed in and realized that there was not anyone I knew there.  I may have a good chance at this race.
     I was going to race with no coat.  Just the Boston Harvest shirt and gloves.  Crazy? yes, but I thought it might help me finish faster.  Or I might just turn into a popsicle.  Looking at the other runners I thought only one was probably fast.  Dude was.  He finished in 15 minutes.  I might get 2nd place!  When we started out I was in 3rd place.  Some little dude was out ahead of me.  He would probably die out later. Right?

     At mile one the chick behind me made her move.  She got just ahead of me and was kicking up rock salt and snow.  I was like "oh hell no...".  I put on some speed and a half mile later she was in my dust.  After running though the city, they put us on the trail.  At mile two I started hearing bells.   Like Christmas reindeer bells.  I did not know where it was coming from.  On the way across at long trail bridge the bells got closer.  A guy yelled, "come on youngin', this old guy is catching you".  I started running faster and so did he.  I got beside me and said, "come on".  The race was almost over and could not hold the pace.   I slowed down.  He finished 6 seconds before me!!  I lost my 3rd place finish.  HOWEVER... I did do the 5k in 20:53.   My second fastest time. 

      The next morning was I was back up again.  I thought I was going to wake up sore, but I was fine.  This time it was a real trail race in South Park.  There were two races, 4 and 8 miles.  I picked the 4.  I invited a lot of people to go, but the weather kept them away.  It was just me, Chris, and Tim.  The course was snow covered and icy.  As soon as we started the snow came pouring down and it was hard to see.  Fun?  Oh yeah!  It was a blast.  No speed, but it was a work out.  Finished in 42:00.  Yes, that is 10:30 per minute miles...lol.   I guess my legs were tired.  I finished 9th out 15?

No comments:

Post a Comment