Sunday, July 21, 2013

I refuse to Quit! Races # 100 & 101

Race # 100
5k to Fight Decay- White Oak Park- Saturday
     I have been sick since Tuesday.  It gets a little better and then hits me again even worse.  Why have I not seen a doctor?  I guess because I am one of those people that needs to be really-really sick before they go.  I decided to go this 5k because it is close to the Boston Harvest course and I wanted to hand out flyers.  Hours before the race, I sickness hit.  I knew that this was not going to go well.
     On the drive to the race it was raining.  I thought the rain would keep it cooler.  It did not. It got humid.  When I got to the registration, I asked where the bathrooms were.  I had just enough time to pay, when I started feeling ill.  I made it to the restroom then to the car to relax.  Then I heard the starting horn.  I missed the start of the race!!  I got in line with the walkers and found a older runner named, Bob L.  He was at my race last year.  We talked about different races until the turn around.  At that point, I was feeling okay.  I wished him good luck and I started running faster.  THAT WAS A BAD IDEA!  About a minute later I felt ill again.  Worse ill.  I kept going.  I past person after person.  Only I was not running for the finish line.   I was running for the restroom.  I finished in 29:25 and then straight to the restroom.  Once I calmed down, I handed out flyers.  People were really interested, because my race is cheaper, no hills, and gives kids medals.  Bob L. PRed on the course.

Race # 101
Presque Isle Half Marathon- Erie- Sunday
     I somehow made it all the way to Erie without feeling sick.  I thought that meant I would be okay to run.  Sara and I made it to the race at 5:50am.  I was starting to feel ill, but I hoped it was just me being nervous.  Sara was not running in the race, because she is running in Burning River 100 miler next weekend.  I checked in, got my shirt, and then we both stood in line for the restroom.  It was a long line.  By the time we made it to the front of the line, I knew that I was sick again.  I did not say anything to Sara because I did not want her try and talk me out of running the race.
     Sara saw a runner that she knows from Oil Creek (another ultra race) and ran over.  I walked slowly and found my starting spot.  No fast movement for me.  I was planning on doing 8 minute miles.  I knew this was a good PR course, but not for me, not today.  The race started with a little leg then a turn around.  At that point I heard someone yell, "hey shane!".  I ran ahead to catch whoever it was and found that it was Michael T.  I said hi and then got myself back on pace.  I was now ahead of Mike.
     Was I still sick?  I felt okay.  I had to fight to keep my pace.  I kept going too fast.  The course said it was flat, but it was really an uphill grade.  You could not feel the grade.  But when you looked at the people farther ahead, you could tell.  There were two small real hills.  One at mile six and one in mile nine.
     Whatever I had eaten was gone and I was mighty hungry.  I downed a GU and thought about all the food at the finish line.  I kept trying to find someone running a good steady pace.  But everyone was jumping  back and forth.  I really needed someone to pace off of.  At mile five I was feeling a little light headed.  I was running on the edge of the course next to the lane with cars.  Not really a good idea.

     After mile seven Michael past me, I got behind him and some lady and used them to pull me.  I did this for about a mile when something just did not feel right.  I slowed down just a little bit.  It went away.  I could still see them ahead of me and I planned to catching up and past him.  At mile nine I stopped to use the restroom, too much water.   I lost a few seconds here.
     Then at mile 10.5 it was all over.  I was sick and needed a restroom ASAP.  I found one at mile 10.7 and was out of the race for five minutes.  I thought that I might have to quit the race.  But I really did not want too.  I started running again for about ten seconds and then walked... I realized my belly was empty again.  I found my last GU and then starting jogging.  Once I got to mile 11, I was feeling so-so, but I knew it was over soon.  I ran hard, then walked, then ran hard again.  I was not going to quit!

      When I was closing in on the finish I ran as fast as I could, stopped for a second because of the illness, then I took off for the finish line.  Sara was there cheering and taken pictures.  She yelled "almost there Shane".  When I got to her and yelled, "got sick, very sick.".  I finished in 1:54:08.   8th half marathon, all under 2 hours.
      There was suppose to be a cook out at the beach after the race.  Sara wanted to eat there.  I really needed AC and to sit down.  So, we drove into Erie to the Eat-n-Park instead.  They have an all you can eat buffet for breakfast.   I did not eat that much.

No comments:

Post a Comment