Sunday, June 9, 2013

Quench 5k and Alpha Fitness 5k

     Three days ago the treadmill broke.  Not broke as in, it can be fixed, but broke as in it is headed to a landfill near you.  I normally do all my weekday training on the treadmill.  Without it, I was lost.
     Two days ago I decided to go for a run on the Yough Trail.  I was going for 3 or 4 miles.  When I got 3 1/2 miles out, I realized how far I had gone and thought, "I feel good. I will keep going".  I turned around at 5 1/2.  By mile 9 I was out of water, hungry, tired, and I dogged it back home.  I did 11 miles and it felt great.  
     Later that day I was asked if I would mark a 5k and 10k course.  I decided to go for it.  If you were at the Boston Harvest 5k last year, you might remember that I measured the course short.  I needed to redeem myself.
      Yesterday I decided to do a 5k two hours before it started.  I grabbed my gear and drove there in a hurry.  I got there with only 30 minutes to spare and signed up.  I did not get a shirt because they only had shirts for pre-registered people.  There were not that many people and I thought I had a chance at another top ten finish. 
     The race started with an uphill.  I paced myself and let 10 people go out ahead of me.  By the top of the hill people were starting to drop back.  I passed one runner after another until I was in 3rd place overall.  There was a guy just ahead of me and a girl, well she was gone.  I thought maybe she had taken a wrong turn.  I used the second mile to catch up with the guy in front and then pass him.  I held first place male for a mile and then right at the end he passed me for the win.  It was okay.  I still got 2nd place male, 3rd Overall. A good run.  21:12.  Only problem was I locked myself out of the car right before the race.  The will teach me not to hurry. 

         Once I finally got home, I ate lunch and rested for a bit.  After that it was back out of the trail for 6.2 more miles carrying a can of spray paint.   And yes people did look at me funny.  I was marking a official race course and could not stop and talk when I saw a runner that I knew.  Once it was checked, I knew I had done it right.  

     This morning I was up at 6am.  I needed to put up turn around signs on the course.  I did not do this the day before because I was afraid some kids would steal them.  I added another 1.8 mile run to place the signs and my traffic cones.  Last year someone at this race ran too far.  I won't say who. 
     When I got to the starting area only one runner was there and the timing company was just hanging out.  I walked over and opened the gate for their van.  A few more people showed up.  It was getting close to 8am, half hour before start and I realized this was going to be a small race.  Well, two small races (5k and 10k).  I asked the timing company how many people were signed up.  They said only 22 for both, total.  I called Sara and told her to get up and get down here to run.  I thought she might win this one.  
     My legs were tired and sore.  I thought that I really wanted to win but two guys looked faster than me.  At the start I glued myself to fastest runner for the first mile.  If he sped up, I sped up.  If he slowed down, I slowed down.  He started to die off and I took off ahead of him.  6:45 first mile.  I keep running until the turn around, by then my legs were burning.  I took a quick drink and then was off again, high-fiving Sara and a few runners as I passed them.  I took a good running lead and then walked/ran/walk, etc.  My legs were killing me, but I so wanted to finally win a 5k.  I did win!  23:43.  Not a great race time, but I won!  

Me and the 1st place female

trophy and shirt

Sara got 2nd place female and a door prize.

Jennifer C got 3rd place female and her son won TWO door prizes.


No comments:

Post a Comment