Thursday, November 22, 2012

Dude was that a turkey on a bike?

     Last weekend I was deciding between a 5k, a half marathon, or no race at all.   I picked no race.  This gave us more time to spend as family.  Saturday we did the shopping and ate dinner out.  Sunday we went to the museum.
     Now on to Thanksgiving day.  I picked the Cranberry Turkey Chase this year.  First, because it was easy to get too.  Second, because it was a first year and I hoped for a lower attendance.  No chance on the lower attendance though.  Last year on Thanksgiving we did the New Castle YMCA Turkey Trot.  This was a very fun race, however on the way home we had an issue with a drunk driver so I picked somewhere closer to home.
     The race started off with a negative.  There was not enough parking for the number of folks that had come out.  But that happens, so Sara's jeep "made" a parking spot.  We headed down the path to the registration.  While we were getting our shirts and bibs, the lady asked us how the parking was.  We laughed.
     Next came the trip the bathrooms.  Why is this important?  You'll see.  I walked in and stood in line.  About a minute later out the stall comes a turkey, or rather a guy in a full turkey suit.  Someone in line asked him if he had lost a bet.  He replied, "we all have to do are part?"   What??
     We waited a bit, talked about putting me a real training plan for the marathon.  Oh yeah, i forgot to tell you.  Sara signed me up for the Shamrock Shuffle Marathon in Virginia Beach.  Anyways... We starting walking around looking for the start line.  About then the crowd started moving, so we followed.  The guy in the turkey suit was now a bike.  Apparently that was the "chase" part.  Poor guy.  That had to be hot and miserable.
     The horn went off and the crowd started.   I went out at a 6 minute pace.  I quickly slowed it down.  As we entered the half mile mark I saw someone I knew, Mitch R.   Mitch has done 2,000+ races.  We see him at alot of races.  He runs a little bit faster then me, so I tried to keep up with him.  He warned me about the hill coming up.
     As I rounded a corner I saw a guy with a Team Aquaphor jacket on.  That's the "sponsor" team the Sara runs for in her bigger races.  I said, "Hi, I'm Sara's husband".  He was having some trouble and I ended up passing him up in the second mile.  The rest of the race was rolling hills.  It always seems like there is more ups then downs.  Somewhere near mile 2.5 or .6, a voice behind me said, "Hi Shane, I read your blog every week".  How cool is that?    At mile 2.8 I was done. The course started up hill and I wanted nothing to do with it.  I finished it 21:39.  Could I have done better?  Maybe, maybe not.
     All in all a good race.  Would I do it again?  Sure.   

No comments:

Post a Comment